Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Friday, October 03, 2008

Puketober Fest 2008

All day yesterday I was getting calls from the school nurse reporting Brendon’s blood sugar readings and how at one point he looked pale and clammy. I chalked it up to his blood sugar dropping since...well... it was dropping from the last time she checked him. So she treated him with a juice and a snack.

At 3 p.m., she called again saying he never ate his lunch and he was currently laying down in her office and didn’t want to send him home on the bus. He didn’t eat his lunch? Oh, yeah, he’s definitely sick. So I picked him up, got him home, and all he wanted to do was lay down in bed. No fever, blood sugars were good. Maybe he’s catching a cold or something.

Fast forward to 9 p.m. Now mind you, he hadn’t eaten lunch nor did he eat dinner. HIGHLY unusual for this kid, btw.

Back to 9 p.m. He calls out: "MOM!!…I JUST THREW UP!!" (oh yeah, call for mom on that one, haha) and Jeff and I run upstairs to witness him in the bathroom, bent over the tub, with a lake of puke on the bathroom floor. He informs us that he threw up in bed too.

Where the hell did he get all this puke from?? He hadn’t eaten anything all day!

Oh, the joys of parenthood!

So Jeff gets a large trash bag, wraps up the comforter and sheets, and just throws the whole thing out.

Meanwhile, I’m stuck sopping up the damn puke in the bathroom.

But, his blood sugar behaved all night, THANKFULLY, and he's home from school today. He's fine, but I'm making him rest anyway.

I'm missing a lunch date today with a friend of mine....a SUSHI lunch date....and a party in NJ this weekend where all of my college girlfriends will be gathered for the first time in years.

Ah well. C'est la vie. Such is the life of a parent.

9 Comments:

  • Oooo that stinks! Feel better soon Brendan!!!!

    By Blogger sandi, at 10/03/2008 9:11 AM  

  • Oh no! It royally sucks when kids get sick - especially your D kid (more worry than usual) but isn't the timing impeccible?? It seems to always happen when something "good" is planned *sigh*.

    I hope he's feeling better soon and the sugars stay well behaved. Plan another lunch date with your friend ... you need that time too :D

    By Blogger Jamie, at 10/03/2008 10:17 AM  

  • I knew something would happen to royally f*ck up all the plans I had. It never fails. I was foolish enough to think that if I got this far without something happening that I was scott free. NOPE.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 10/03/2008 10:24 AM  

  • Gotta love the timing. :(

    Poor Brendan. How are Jess and Jake? I'll say a little prayer that it's not passed around to the rest of you.

    get well soon Brendan!

    By Blogger Lea, at 10/03/2008 11:35 AM  

  • Mine ALWAYS got sick when I had plans - even just going out to lunch plans.
    It sucks.
    Hope Brendan feels better and no one else comes down with it.

    By Blogger meanderings, at 10/03/2008 2:40 PM  

  • He was saving up that vomit all day... that's why there was a vomit lake. I hope Brendan feels better now!

    Spewing children led us to buy the extra large capacity clothes washer. They would always get out of bed and come throw up on ME. What a way to say, "I love you!"

    By Blogger Naomi, at 10/05/2008 6:29 AM  

  • Major suckage. I hope he's feeling better soon!

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 10/08/2008 11:08 AM  

  • Shannon

    I missed this episode. I hope he's feeling better now.

    Are you going to the DRI thing in NY this weekend?

    By Blogger Bernard, at 10/22/2008 10:36 AM  

  • I just came across your blog from someone else's blogroll. My son was diagnosed with Type 1 on October 6th, 2008. I have heard stories about how it seems like D kids vomit so much... thankfully we havent encountered that yet. We are still struggling with keeping his numbers steady, but I guess that will even out one of these days, right?! Anywho, I hope Brendan is feeling better.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1/11/2009 11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home