Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

I'm Not a Doctor, But I Play One When I Watch TV

I'm a regular viewer of Army Wives. It's a cheesy, soapy kind of series on Lifetime, but I like it.

A couple of episodes ago, Claudia Joy would mention how thirsty she was and take a swig of water. It was very subtle and not much attention was brought to it on the show. Not another mention was brought about it following her swig.

But, I immediately zoned in on it and thought, "Ha, I bet she has diabetes."

On the next episode, they alluded to her being told devastating news after a car accident.

I thought, "I'll bet she's diagnosed with diabetes. Now will it be Type 1 or 2. What a cliffhanger!"

During that episode, she complained she wasn't feeling well. And then she asked someone for some water because she was thirsty.

She and one of the Army Wives were driving at night and her vision blurred. They got into an accident after she swerved out of the way of a car whose lane she passed into.

At the hospital, they did regular blood work that night. The next morning, the doctor mentioned that they saw her blood sugar was high and thought maybe stress from the accident caused it, so they did another blood work up that morning and found it to be high again. He told her to follow up with her physician.

I was like, "Damn! I should be a doctor! I'm feeling so House right now."

So, at the end, she's diagnosed with Type 2. It was an educational scene for the viewers. I was impressed that the TV doc was very thorough and pretty accurate with the info she gave Claudia Joy about Type 2 and the fact that even though she is thin and fit, she could still get Type 2.

This past episode shows Claudia Joy taking insulin because the doc wanted to get her started on that therapy right away.

So of course, I'm making sure that the technical part to this scene is accurate, LOL.

She didn't exactly get the air in correctly, but I'll let that pass. No biggie.

She did draw out the insulin correctly, did not tap out bubbles though, and she didn't go nuts over pushing out the insulin to get the correct dosage.

I remember eyeballing the bejeesus out of that syringe to make sure the plunger met up with the correct markings on the syringe. I was always cross-eyed.

OK, anyway, not much TV time can be taken up measuring out the insulin.

But when she injected it into her stomach, she rubbed the spot afterwards.

I was thinking, "Don't rub it! You're not supposed to rub it!"

Anywho, yeah...I'm a stickler for accurate diabetes portrayal. This will probably play out for a few episodes and then be forgotten about. But, I will watch like a hawk in the meantime to see if they do the Type 2 justice.

12 Comments:

  • You're the diabetes police! I love it; I'm the same way! Good for Army Wives for doing what sounds like a far better portrayal than most tv shows! That actually gives me some peace. Now if they'll just accurately show her having an extreme low and how to treat it...the world might be a safer place!

    By Blogger sandi, at 9/01/2009 10:43 AM  

  • Maybe you can figure out what is wrong with me Dr. House! LOL

    Very cool you spotted the D.

    Love reading your posts. yay.

    By Blogger George, at 9/01/2009 12:40 PM  

  • Tell me your symptoms. I'll get my board all set to write them down and stare at it until I fine the answer.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 9/01/2009 12:43 PM  

  • A good and thorough explanation about diabetes can be found at diabetes-research.net. Their intensive diabetes research helps individual to know more about diabetes and shows some tips/ways on how to prevent and minimize the effects of diabetes and most of all they provide menu plans for diabetics.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9/04/2009 11:05 AM  

  • I actually just read somewhere reputable (can't remember where right now though, sorry) that if you have a very high blood sugar, to inject the insulin and then rub the skin so it gets warm. This will help increase the absorption of the insulin. I've never heard this myself, (nor tried it), but was the Army Wife wrong to rub her skin after taking insulin?

    By Blogger Lyrehca, at 9/05/2009 12:39 AM  

  • Did Dan read your post?

    Anyhow, like you, I'm the same way and I go nuts if it's not done correctly on TV (must educate the audience correctly in my mind!) LOL.

    Again, so happy to see you posting again my dear :D Now, about this rash I have ....

    By Blogger Jamie, at 9/05/2009 12:39 AM  

  • I hear ya sister!
    I'm so critical when I see Diabetes in the movies or on TV. Do yourself and DONT watch "Panic Room." The diabetes inaccuracies will drive you bash*t!

    I don't watch Army Wives, but after Chris's post, I watched the episode where the Diachick got all bitchy with her family regarding her diagnoses and then passed out because she took her insulin but didn't eat.
    Now after reading your post, I'm going to have to start watching it On Demand-THANKS!
    Glad your posting and wish we could grab some matini's !
    Kelly K

    By Blogger k2, at 9/12/2009 4:27 PM  

  • Shannon, I love Army Wives too...but I do have to say I totally missed the thirsty thing. I guess I should quit multi-tasking while watching. Did you see the episode last night? It was great! I loved the Type 1 kid and her wonderful self-confidence. That was the best!!!

    By Blogger Lisa, at 9/14/2009 10:22 AM  

  • That's cool. I have the episode DVR'd and plan to watch it sometime today. It makes me wonder if someone who works on the show (like one of the writers or producers) is affected by diabetes in some way and wanted to bring it to the public's attention by creating a story line about it.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 9/14/2009 11:13 AM  

  • We are trying to identify whether or not people need (or want) help in managing their Diabetes and how we can best provide help. So please follow the link below and help us find solution that will aid you in managing your Diabetes. The link is a very short survey that is focused on understanding your needs in managing Diabetes. Thank you for your time, we really appreciate your input.

    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=GEU4iQOQmYVJo8jj_2bXDR6Q_3d_3d

    By Blogger MBA student, at 9/21/2009 11:42 PM  

  • Great Post and Nice Article.I like it.Thanks for sharing.


    Lovegra

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5/27/2015 2:01 AM  

  • Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids&Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small faction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/24/2019 11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home